Welcome To Coaches Education

In God We Trust

Email

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 400m summer program
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:29 pm 

I am just coming off my first season of college track which saw a pr in the 200m which i was happy with but I also ran the 500m indoors and the 400m which is my main and favorite event but for some reason i couldn't hold it together through the last 45-50m of the 400m(the last 100m of the 500m) this year I've gotten faster over shorter distances but am looking now for a summer program that will hold the new found speed but give me the endurance to finish strong in the 400and 500m. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:05 am 

I am a former world class 400 meter runner( 45-46 times) and currently coach. What you do not want to do, is lose the new found speed over the summer. Your 500 race will continue to make your 400 stronger and as a result faster, especially the last 50 meters. Let's talk about some work in the summer for your 500 indoor season. I don't know what you use for training right now, I would need to know that, also are you going to be running in any competitive meets this summer? Once I get those answers from you, I can give you a program, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:29 am 

hi infllight,
i will be interested by a summer training program for 400m (i run 400m hurdles/400m flat), i run in 55"90 and 51"50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:49 am 

Hai,

Are you in college or high school? Are you competing any this summer? When did your season start, did you run an indoor season? These are just some initial questions I need to know before I can offer you a workout. I also coach hurdlers as well. Thanks.

Coach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:20 am 

hi,
I'm in high school, I don't have competition this summer.
My season will start in October and I'm going to prepare the indoor season in the 200m and 400m (I have never ran the 200m and I have to make progress on speed). Can you give me some advices for hurdles training too?

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:37 am 

Hi Hai,

What grade are you in? It's good you want to work on your speed, with respect to the 200m, you will need some speed when running the 400 and 400H. Since you mentioned your season will start in October, which is still 3 months away, so you can certainly begin your base work now. I will give you a workout for the base and let you know when you can begin a full blown speed workout also. I will have you do some speed work even while doing your base work.

Here you go, with your workout, which you can begin next week.

Monday- 800 meter warm up, 2min. rest, then dynamic stretching, not static. high knees, butt kicks, A Drills, B Drills, C Drills, Single leg bounds, Karokia, quick legs, backward runs(extend back), strides. Take another 2 min. rest, then do your core work, crunches, obliques, leg raises, superman, push ups. 3 min. rest then go into workout

Workout: 250, (4 min. rest), 450, ( 6 min. rest) 600,( 8 min. rest) ladder, 15 minutes (between ladder rest) what this means is when you finish the 600, you will go down 600, 450, 250. Your rest time is this same when going down. Cool down stretch static stretch .

Tuesday Same warm up and drills. Workout:

6x100m, 75%, with 3 min rest in between, 400m cool down, static stretch.

Wed. Same warm up, and drills. Workout:

2 min. jog, right into 30 second sprint, 4 min. rest, 3 min. jog right into 20 sec. sprint. 5 min. rest, 1 min. jog right into 30 sec. sprint, Cool down stretch static

Thursday Same warm up and drills. Workout

150 75%, 2min. rest, 100 50% 2min. rest, 50m 90%. 8 min. rest repeat the workout. 400m cool down, stretch(static)

Friday, Same warm up and drills. Workout.

4 min. easy jog, 4 min. rest, 4 min. easy jog, 4 min. rest, 3 min easy jog. cool down static stretch.

On the weekend you can stretch, do core work, work on form using the mirror, elbows down and back, thumbs up, always pay extreme attention to your form, mechanics, technique, it's crucial. You can check your body alignment, if your ears go past your ankles too much forward lean, if your ears go behind your ankles, too much back lean, God Bless, good luck.

Coach Allen